Moving houses is never an easy task even if you are moving within the same state. If you are not well organized, the move may not go well and you may end up being very frustrated. One way to avoid this is by creating a moving checklist that will be able to guide you through every step of your move.
How to create a reliable moving checklist
One important thing to note is that your checklist should be divided into categories to make it easier for you to organize the move. Here are some of the things you can include in your list.
1. The first thing you need to do is sort the items in your house. Determine which items you want to keep and which ones you do not need. Once you have done this, prepare to get rid of the unwanted items by disposing them, selling them or donating them if they are in good condition. This is an important step since you will have fewer items to deal with when packing. If you are going to hire a moving company, it will make work easier for them since they will have more room for work and they will deliver all the items you need. You can imagine if you still have the unwanted items in your house. A mistake of delivering the wrong items to your new house may be made. Hence, having only the necessary items in your house will ensure they do not make mistakes in their delivery. In addition to this, make an inventory of all your goods so that you can know if anything is missing after delivery.
2. After sorting your household items, determine the number of boxes that will be required for the move and set a date to acquire them. Do this in advance so that if you are not able to acquire the boxes from the place you thought of, you can still get them from elsewhere. This prevents any delay in moving.
3. Once you acquire the packing boxes, pack the items in an orderly manner. Start with the items that you may not need for the time being until you move to your new house. For items that you will require until the moving day, such as the television, lamps and kitchenware, pack them the night before the move or very early in the morning before the moving company arrives. Make sure all the boxes are labeled so that the moving company can know which boxes are to be handled with care.
4. Make sure you search for a reliable moving company well in advance and book a date for the move. This will ensure you have a successful move. If you wait until the last minute to look for a packing company, you may be disappointed since they may all be busy on that day which means you will have to look for other companies that offer last minute moving services. Of course, you will have to dig deeper into your pockets for that. Hence, save some money by doing this in advance. If there are any special instructions, let the movers know before they start handling the items.
5. Lastly, make sure you pack all your valuable items in a separate box and move them personally to your new home. This is a safety measure just in case anything goes wrong with the moving company.